OHSAS 18001 (2008) – SAFETY
This assessment specification – for it is not yet a standard – was developed to provide a recognisable and measurable health and safety management system standard that could be externally verified and audited.
Since its inception the specification has proved an effective and robust occupational health and safety (OHS) management system that helps identify uncontrolled hazards and turn them into controlled risks resulting in a safer workplace.
A number of key areas are addressed by this assessment specification such as:
- Planning for hazard identification, risk assessment and risk control
- Structure and responsibility
- Training, awareness and competence
- Consultation and communication
- Operational control
- Emergency preparedness and response
- Performance measuring, monitoring and improvement